Saturday 21 September 2013

Calling All Parents!

Hello, everyone!

One of the hardest and most rewarding jobs is being a parent. Growing up, I always believed my parents were tough on me and didn't let me do anything. I remember telling my aunt that I wished she was my mother...I was 12 and didn't know what I know today.

My parents are the most loving, selfless, and dedicated parents and grandparents. They taught me strong family values, how to be respectful of others, and to take pride in every job I had. When I wasn't obedient, I got a few slaps.  Did this damage me as an adult? Not at all! I learned the most important life lesson...to treat people the way I wanted to be treated and that's with respect.

Having my own children made me realize why my parents did what they did. They made so many sacrifices for us growing up and still do to this day. All the words of advice that my parents gave me when I was growing up (I wasn't listening much then), I am telling my children today.

Today, times are different. Parents are different. Parents feel that being their child's friend rather than their parent is better. CALLING ALL PARENTS!!! Where are you and what are you thinking? Our job is not to be our kids' friends, our job is to make our children independent adults, with strong family values and morals, that are respectful, trustworthy, and caring.

Kids today are growing up with too much. Kids today have too much information. Kids today are not kids long enough!

Why are we taking their childhood away so soon? Why are we letting them decide what to say and what to do? I've met many children during my teaching career who tell their parents what to do and the parents let them decide everything. Why? Because we don't want to hurt their feelings and feel that spoiling them will make them love us more!

Guess what? Kids are little people. Treat them like little people.Show them respect and they will respect you. Our kids need us to teach them right from wrong. We need to make them aware of the many dangers that exist today, and keep them safe. We must also allow them to make their own mistakes and learn from them in their own time. We must always tell them that we love them no matter what, even when we are disappointed in them.

So why do parents today tell their children that they are great at everything, even when they are not? Why do parents today never make their children accountable for their actions? This generation of children are growing up thinking they are entitled to everything, that it's always about them, and that they can disrespect anyone because they were never made aware that this is unacceptable in the real world. They will get a huge shock when they reach adulthood and realize that life is hard or will they?

Not if mommy and daddy will always bail them out and never allow them to take responsibility for their actions.

Is it too late? Not at all! Start by giving your kids two choices. From the time they learn to say that two letter word "NO!", this is the point in their lives that they realize they are in control of us. For example, tell them,"You can wear red socks or blue socks." This makes children feel they have a choice, and they never know that these choices are really made by their parents. From the moment they disrespect you, this is the moment you explain to them this manner of speaking is unacceptable. Once children learn from a young age that they are accountable for their actions and that their actions have a consequence, they begin their journey to becoming an independent thinker and doer.

Parents, close your eyes and imagine your children as adults...Are you proud of them? If you answer, "Yes", then you are doing your job as a parent. Trust me, your kids will thank you one day for being tough on them, and allowing them to make mistakes and take responsibility for their actions.

I did. I even apologized to my mom for saying what I did to my aunt. My mom is the most dedicated wife, mother, and grandmother. She has taught me unconditional love.
A little something for my precious three daughters that I do love more than life itself...

Our children, our future!

Teach them well and let them lead the way!

God Bless our children!

Sandra

No comments:

Post a Comment