Friday 6 September 2013

My "Oh My Gosh" List!

Hello again!

Summer vacation is done, the kids and teachers (me alike) are back at school! I'm not one of those parents singing the Staples jingle, "It's the most wonderful time of the year...they're going back" since this also includes me.

This week has been a week of reflection, of self-discovery, of a new journey. Expect the unexpected in every "nook and cranny", around every corner, because you never know when someone will do something unexpected.

I had this happen to me this week by my children. As parents, we try our best to raise our kids with values and morals, to respect everyone, and to apply all this knowledge one day when they become members of our community. I always tell my children, "It's what you guys do when I'm not around that counts." My first "Oh my gosh" moment occurred on Tuesday evening. I didn't realize then that this event would become an 'unexpected' precious moment. I wanted to spend some quality time with my sons after their first day at school, so I decided to take them for ice cream to celebrate their first day of grade 7. The unexpected moment happened when Michael pulled out his wallet just as I was about to pay and said, "Mom, I'm buying you ice cream!" I couldn't believe my ears!

In a blink of an eye, I realized that my boys were on their way to adulthood. Where did the time go? Just yesterday, I remember taking them home from NICU after they reached their target weight of 6lbs.

The second unexpected moment happened on Thursday. I called home and asked the boys to walk over to McDonald's to meet me for dinner. I watched them from a distance as they crossed the street, holding my breath with every step they made, and trying not to hinder their independence. After dinner, Joseph realized he left his hat behind. As he was reentering McDonald's, I witnessed another 'Oh my gosh" moment. He opened the door for an elderly woman. When he returned to the car I commended him on his good manners and exclaimed, "Joseph, you just got 100 points on my "Oh my gosh list!" The look on his face made my heart skip a beat! I decided from this moment that I would begin my very own, "oh my gosh list" for myself, to remind me of what really matters.

 Unexpected moments happen all the time, and yet it's the worst unexpected moments that seem to affect us.  Why is that? We have lost sight of what's important. When these moments happen, we must grab onto them tightly and enjoy every unexpected moment as it unfolds before our eyes...


Don't blink or you will miss it!

Enjoy every moment,

Sandra



No comments:

Post a Comment